Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the Texas Workbook, where our goal is to document, catalog, and preserve Texas culinary history.

You can read more here: https://community.texasworkbook.com/...texas-workbook
See more
See less

T-bone’s Lamb (Venison) Shanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-bone’s Lamb (Venison) Shanks

Posted in the Facebook Group by T-bone Tom - https://www.facebook.com/groups/reci...5330349675143/

Since we were talking earlier about feral hogs and recipes, here is something that I used to cook with venison shanks. I don't deer hunt any more so I switched back to lamb shanks (where I got the original idea for the venison recipe).

I will be trying the feral hog shanks this fall when I take one just to see how that works out.

It is guaranteed to make your mouth very happy.

Anyway, all that to say it is a very good recipe. Give it a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	242881427_1083217315846491_7469972897209865779_n.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	243

Ingredient

• 4 lamb shanks
    • sea salt and black pepper to taste
    • Japanese Umami tenderizer
    • 3+ tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 large carrot, cut into 1/3 inch rounds
    • 1 large stalk of celery chopped
    • 10 cloves garlic, crushed but whole
    • 1+ cup red wine *see note
    • 1 can whole chopped seasoned tomatoes with juice
    • juice of 1 fresh lemon
    • 2-3 tbsp tomato paste (optional- but I recommend it)
    • 2 tsp paprika
    • 1 cup beef broth/ stock
    • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
    • 1 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    • 2-3 large fresh bay leaves
    • 1 tbsp of flour/ water mixture for gravy thickening (optional)
    • *add okra pods (my favorite), fresh green beans, baby carrots, mushrooms, or all of the above in the last ½ hour of cooking

Directions

1. Sprinkle shanks with the seasonings , put in a zip lock bag overnight. Remove from the fridge and let it come to room temp before you do anything else.
    When you're ready to cook, heat the oil in heavy large pot or deep skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
    2. Transfer shanks to plate. (I preheat the oven to it's lowest setting and keep the shanks on a plate until I'm ready to finish)
    3. Add onion and garlic for about two minutes then stir in tomatoes, bay leaves, rosemary and thyme, beef broth and then the wine last. See * below.
    4. Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and transfer to a 275 degree oven until meat is tender, about 3+ hours.
    *Liquid should not completely cover the meat. If the liquid cooks down, add a little more wine not water.
    **** About 20 minutes before you make the gravy for serving add ½-1 pound of cut fresh green beans or fresh okra (my favorite).
    5. Transfer shanks to platter, place in a warm oven.
    Then, remove cover from pot. Simmer on stove top about 20 minutes longer so the gravy can reduce. Stir in flour/ water mixture, stir until blended and simmer juices in pot until thickened to your preference, about 5 minutes.

I serve this over jasmine rice.
Working...
X