Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the Texas Workbook, where our goal is to document, catalog, and preserve Texas culinary history.

You can read more here: https://community.texasworkbook.com/...texas-workbook
See more
See less

Ruthie's Award~Wining Seven Pepper Venison Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruthie's Award~Wining Seven Pepper Venison Chili

I have a dear friend who LOVES the spiciest foods he can find!! He always said he couldn't find a chili that he liked that was spicy enough. How hot is spicy enough? It had to make him sweat!! So, loving a challenge like I do, I set about making that chili for him. So, here goes... try it, if you dare!! (Yes, you can work it to not be THAT spicy too.)

prep time 45 minutes
    cook time 2 hours
    total time 2 hours 45 minutes

Ingredients
    1/2 lb pancetta, diced
    1 large onion, diced
    1 garlic head, minced
    1 c scotch bonnet peppers, diced
    1 c jalapeno, diced
    1 c habanero, diced
    1 c chil pepper, diced
    1/2 c ghost pepper, diced
    1/2 c cubanelle, diced
    1 c bell pepper, diced
    5 lb ground venison
    5 lb venison, 1/2" cubes
    2 lb ground sausage
    2 T paprika
    5 T cumin
    8 T chili powder, heaping
    2 T oregano
    2 T sugar
    30 oz crushed tomatoes
    8 c beef bone broth
    2 bottles dark beer
    3 T black pepper
    3 T white pepper
    4 T salt
    4 T masa flour
    2-3 T water

Toppings
    cheeses
    sour cream
    peppers
    onions

Instructions
    Prep all your ingredients, which will make your time more efficient. BE SURE TO WEAR GLOVES WHILE PREPARING THE PEPPERS!!! (Trust me on that!).

In a large cast iron skillet, sauté the pancetta. Remove the pancetta, but keep the rendered fat. Add the onions and garlic, sautéing until the onions are translucent.

Add all the peppers and continue sautéing until the peppers start to become tender. Set aside.

In a very large pot, add the ground venison, and brown it. Remove it to a bowl and set aside.

Next, in the same big pot, brown the diced venison. Remove it to the bowl with the ground venison.

Now, brown the sausage. Return all the meats to the pot. Add the onions, garlic, and peppers to the meats.

In a saucepan, add one cup of the bone broth. Add all the spices (paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, black and white pepper, and oregano) stirring until everything is incorporated.

Add the beer, tomatoes, the remaining bone broth, and the spice mixture to the meat and pepper mixture.

Cover and let this cook for an hour. Taste, at this time. Depending on how acidic it tastes, add the sugar. Believe it or not, this will balance out the acid. You can always add more if needed.

Mix the masa and water. Add to the chili.

This will help the chili come together, thickening it to the desired consistency.

Cover, lower the heat, and let simmer for another hour.

Serve while piping hot!

Add a dollop of sour cream and grated cheddar cheese. ENJOY!!!

CHEF’S NOTES
    To lower the spice level, remove all the seeds and membranes from the peppers.

Not all peppers can be found in your local grocery stores, but you can find them all on the internet!

I cannot emphasize enough, wear gloves while working with the peppers. Your eyes and mouth will thank you!

Using beer is a personal preference. If you don’t want to use alcohol, substitute more broth, or stock.

If you choose to use beer, use one you would drink. As it cooks, the flavors intensifies.

Pancetta can be substituted with bacon.

The longer the chili cooks, the better it becomes. The next day, if it lasts that long, will be even better.
Working...
X